Please CLICK HERE for our school information booklet regarding the school uniform.
We welcome donations of any unwanted Downend School uniform to be recycled please; all sizes and items would be appreciated including skirts, blazers, ties and PE kit. Please bring your items to the main reception or you can send them in with your child and ask them to drop at the student centre if preferred. Many thanks for your support.
Downend School Uniform has been designed to be formal, not fashionable
All students are expected to wear the school uniform with PRIDE. The uniform is summarised as follows:
- White shirt which buttons at the neck (this can be long or short sleeve)
- School blazer with the school badge
- House tie with school badge showing below the knot
- Optional school jumper (to be worn with blazer, not instead of it)
- Tailored grey trousers, OR, grey skirt (skirts must be just above the knee as a minimum length; tight fitting “tube” style skirts or skirts of a jersey material are not permitted). Please see below for more information on the only styles of skirts permitted at school
- Trousers must be grey, and a tailored style straight legged grey trouser. Tight fitting jeggings or jeans style are not permitted
- Grey or black ankle socks to be worn with trousers. Grey or black tights to be worn with skirts. Socks must not be worn over tights and fluffy socks of any colour are not permitted.
- A plain belt may be worn with a discreet plain buckle or clasp.
- A hijab if worn should be white, black, dark blue or grey in colour
- Black leather-look shoes (no canvas, trainers, boots or coloured flashes)
- Facial piercings are not allowed, students will be asked to remove these during the school day
- Students will be asked to remove any Nail Varnish or artificial nails worn
- Hair must be of a natural colour with no extreme styles. No ornaments such as flowers, bows or elaborate hair/head bands are permitted’ to hair colour description.
- Discrete personal make-up will be allowed, appropriate for a work environment. Students will be asked to remove any make-up identified as unacceptable, this includes false eye lashes, glitter etc. Staff reserve the right to ask students to remove make-up that they consider inappropriate.
Information: Styles of Skirts
|Stitched down box pleat skirt with half elastic waist|
|Straight skirt with kick pleat at back. Back zip and fastening|
Further Information: Skirts
As a school we appreciate the cost in ensuring your child wears the correct school uniform and as a result do not stipulate a ‘school skirt’. However there are two styles of skirt which are acceptable to wear at school (see below). These styles can be purchased through our uniform suppliers or at other shops selling school uniform, including major supermarkets.
Please note that these are the only two styles of skirt acceptable for school. All other styles are not to be worn.
The PE kit consists of:
- Short sleeve polo shirt – embroidered on the left breast with the school logo
- Navy blue shadow stripe plain football shorts
- Knee length navy blue sports socks
- Studded football boots (Please see image below, no blades)
- Long sleeve football style top – embroidered on the left breast with the school logo
- ¼ zip Downend Training top
- Navy blue plain track pants
- Navy Monkhouse leggings (no other brand allowed)
What happens if my child does not wear the correct uniform?
Any student who is not wearing the correct uniform for any reason must report to their House office on arrival at school in the morning. After discussion with members of the House team a decision will be made and parents contacted. A list of potential actions is shown below
- A non-uniform card will be issued for 24 hours – this needs to be shown to all staff on demand and is only valid for one day (this will only be given to students with a genuine reason or issue beyond their control)
- An opportunity will be given for a student to correct their uniform/change into the correct uniform (we hold a stock of uniform in school)
- A student may be sent home to change their uniform (parents will be informed before this happens)
- A student may be isolated in school (including social times) on refusal to correct/change their uniform
- Persistent refusal to wear the correct uniform will result in a fixed term exclusion from school for persistent refusal to follow instructions
Hoodies are not to be worn in school and will be confiscated. Students can collect confiscated items from the student support centre at the end of the school day. A plain weatherproof coat or jacket may be worn to and from school, during break/lunch time and between lessons. Hats and scarves may also be worn during periods of cold weather but extreme styles will not be permitted. Any logo must be discreet and excessively branded items are not permitted. Coats and jackets made of leather, jersey or denim are not acceptable.
Uniform Suppliers Information
You can purchase on-line by visiting the website of Monkhouse
Monkhouse Schoolwear Specialists
Unit 1 Simmonds View
Bristol BS34 8HR
Tel: 0161 4767216